Benefits of Beans!
The benefits of beans are many, yet most of us do not eat the recommended 3 cups per week! Seriously, that is 1/2 cup of them every day, but Sunday. Do you do that? The average person is lucky to include 1/2 cup of them per week!
Black Bean Tostada
Beans should be a daily staple in your diet! Have you had them today should be your mantra, and the healthy diet habit that you aim for! I recently visited my parents. We had pintos for 4 or the 7 days I was there! We all had a great laugh that we are so addicted to pintos!!! Quite a healthy addiction!
Some Healthy Eating Benefits include:
- Rich in fiber, around 15 grams of fiber per cup!
- Many different varieties to choose from like: Black, Red, Pinto, White, Fava, Kidney, Soy, Garbanzo, Adzuki, Lima, Green, Red or Brown Lentils, Black eyed peas, Butter, Great Northern, Haricot, Mung, Navy, Yellow or Green split peas to name a few! Have you tried them all?
- Rich in antioxidants: 3 of the top ten foods that pack the most antioxidants are beans: red, pinto, and kidney! They actually contain more antioxidants than fruits and veggies like apples, berries or artichokes according to the USDA!
- They may reduce your chances of getting certain cancers or heart disease.
- Low in fat and contain no saturated fat or cholesterol.
- Contain vitamins and minerals like B vitamins, calcium, iron, folic acid and potassium.
- Low glycemic food which means that they do not raise your blood sugar quickly.
- They raise your leptin levels and reduce your appetite. Leptin is a hormone that keeps your hunger under control!
- Cheap and great for frugal meals. Buy them in bulk for the best deals!
- Help with weight control because they keep you full and are digested slowly!