Be a Learner
To be a learner
, or have the love of learning
is one of the most helpful healthy diet habits
in life. Learning allows you to develop Lifestyle Solutions
or strategies, which trump willpower, and can bring success in the weight control arena.
Read everything that you can get your hands on, because there is so much helpful information out there! I picked up literature, at my local pharmacy, while waiting for a prescription, and in 10 minutes I learned so many tips:
- If I eat a daily serving of nuts, which is a small handful, instead of eating red meat I could lower my risk of heart disease by 30%. I did not know that!
- Walking for just ten minutes is enough to help with maintaining healthy glucose levels. I did not know that!
- Water-soluble cinnamon extract decreases fasting glucose in prediabetes, according to a USDA study. I did not know that!
- Starting your day with oatmeal moves unhealthy LDL cholesterol out of your bloodstream. I sort of knew this but it was a great reminder!
- I could take an algae-based omega 3 supplement rather than eating fish. I am allergic to fish and did not know this!
- If you break your multivitamin in half and take half at breakfast and half at dinner that you will get a steady supply of vitamins all day. I did not know this!
- That you can control Diabetes with a good night’s sleep. I did not know that either!
- Black rice, which is a whole grain and rich in antioxidants, is a new superfood that is better than blueberries and you can buy it at health food stores and Asian food markets. I had never even heard of black rice!
- If you eat flaxseed, whole grains, and berries, you can drop your risk of breast cancer if you are post-menopausal by 14%. I did not know that!
- 3.5 ounces of fish food twice a week will lower depression. I did not know that!
- If you count your blessings daily and write down what you are grateful for that you will be more optimistic, healthier and exercise more. Wow! I did not know that!
- If you eat at least one cup of cooked dark green leafy veggies like kale, spinach or chard or 4 cups of raw each day, you can reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes by 14%. I did not know that!
These are all Lifestyle Solutions
that I could easily add to my life. The habit of being a learner might one day save or prolong your life! Being a learner, can also make you a more interesting person, will keep you emotionally and physically healthy, and is much more fun that parking yourself in front of the television set!
"All the world is a laboratory to the inquiring Mind." ~Martin H. Fischer
Go to Health Weight Problems
Return from Be a Learner to Food Habits
Return from Be a Learner to Healthy Diet Habits Home Page