Apple Muffins seem like Fall to me! I cleaned out my kitchen cupboards today, and took inventory of the pantry items that I have stashed away. I had a pound bag of Roman Meal Organic Cream of Rye hot cereal, and baking mix that intrigued me. On the back was a recipe for Roman Meal Hearty Muffins. I made a couple of changes to the recipe to upgrade the ingredients. I used whole wheat pastry flour which works well in muffins. I increased the cream of rye, and decreased the flour amounts, and reduced the oil and substituted olive oil for vegetable oil. I also left the skins on the apples, and substituted coconut milk for milk. I need to bake dairy-free treats for my son.
Healthy diet habits are
learning to make substitutions to your favorite recipes to make them healthy
recipes that work for any allergies, or intolerance's that you may be dealing with!
Ingredients for Apple Muffins
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1 cup roman meal cream of rye
- 1 medium apple chopped with skin on
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
Directions for Apple Muffins
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl beat egg with dairy free milk, olive oil,
cereal, and raisins.
- In a separate large bowl, stir together the remaining
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until
just moistened and batter will be lumpy.
- Fill muffin pan cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
The muffins rose well. I doubled the recipe, and made 24. If
you are going to mess up your kitchen, double the recipe, and freeze half of
them for a later date. Muffins are great for grab and go breakfasts, or treats for
The healthier ingredients contain more fiber which will keep you full until lunch! Healthy Baking allows you to keep treats in your diet!
Facebook - Like This Page?
Facebook - Like This Site?