Genetically Modified Food
You are probably eating genetically modified food (GMO’s) daily if you:
- Eat processed foods: 80% of processed foods contain genetically modified ingredients.
- Eat non-organic foods that containing soybeans in any form.
- Eat non-organic foods containing any form of corn. Most processed foods contain corn of some sort!
Facts about Genetically Modified Food
- They are defined as: "genetically modified organisms" that have been created through the gene-splicing techniques of biotechnology. This is a new science that allows the DNA from one species to be injected into another species in a laboratory, creating combinations of plant, animal, bacteria, and viral genes that do not occur in nature or through traditional crossbreeding methods” by the Non-GMO Project.
- They are restricted or banned in 30 other countries because they are not proven safe.
- They are approved by the FDA based on studies done by the companies that created them and profit from them.
- Are not required on labeling by the FDA. You are eating them but do not know that!
- Would not be eaten by 80% of you if you knew what products they were in.
The FDA allows genetically engineered food in foods without labeling, even though FDA scientists repeatedly warned that they had serious side effect like allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. No long term safety studies were done before they were allowed in our foods.
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) does not think that genetically modified foods are safe. They believe:
- Animal studies show serious health risks like infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system.
- They advise doctors to warn their patients to avoid GM foods.
- They were determined to be safe with little testing. They are fearful of health risks!
Genetically Modified Food Resources
For more information, check out these video clips from one of Dr. Oz’s shows:
You can find out more information here:
- Institute for Responsible Technology I would recommend looking at these sections of this website:
- GMO’s in Food
- Risks of GMO’s for Children
- GM Hormones in Dairy
- Everything you have to know about GMO’s - This is a keynote address by Jeffrey Smith.
Please watch these videos, read these articles, and think about the healthy diet habit of limiting GMO use in the foods that you purchase. Check out Avoiding Genetically Modified Foods, and develop new Lifestyle Solutions for the safety of your family.