Healthy Weight Loss Meals
A healthy weight loss meals
guide will allow you to plan healthy meals. Weight loss
is an extremely complicated process. Scientists are just beginning to understand the systems involved in weight loss and weight gain, and your hormones that store and release fat.
Many different theories abound that try to help you lose weight. They mostly fail. Studies seem to show that you need to eat healthy carbohydrates, healthy proteins, healthy fats, unlimited non-starchy veggies, and fruit. Not too difficult of a Lifestyle Solution! Let’s go with that and make a generic weight loss meal guide:
Healthy Carbohydrate: At each meal, eat one serving of a high quality starchy carbohydrate for a total of three to six per day. These would include:
- 1 slice of 100% whole wheat or grain bread
- 2 slices of reduced-calorie breads (40 to 45 calories)
- 1/2 cup brown or wild rice
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or grain pasta
- 1 small 100% whole wheat pita (TJ’s) or half of a regular size like Costco
- 1/2 medium baked potato or sweet potato
- 3/4 cup whole grain breakfast cereal (120 calories or less)
- 1/2 cup dry plain oatmeal - rolled or steel cut or other whole grain cereal
- 1/2 100% whole grain English muffin
- 1/2 cup corn or peas
- 1/2 cup of beans, chickpeas, or lentils
- 1/2 cup any squash or pumpkin.
Healthy Lean Protein: At each meal, eat 1 serving of lean protein. This would include:
- 3 to 5 oz lean meat, chicken, fish, seafood, or tofu
- 1 cup of fat free milk or yogurt
- 1 cup reduced fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg plus up to 3 egg whites
- Up to one cup of beans per day (beans are also listed in Carbs)
- 1 to 2 servings of reduced fat cheese.
Healthy Fat: At each meal eat a small amount of good fats. These would include:
- 1-2t. Olive oil or canola oil
- 1T regular salad dressing or 2-4T reduced calorie salad dressings
- 1-2 T nuts
- 1 T peanut butter
- 1T cream cheese or 2T light cream cheese
- 1T trans-fat free margarine
- 1-2 T guacamole (dilute it and expand the quantity by mixing in half salsa)
- 1-2T reduced fat mayo.
Healthy Non-Starchy Vegetables: At each meal eat unlimited servings of non-starchy vegetables (all veggies except corn, peas, and root veggies, squash or pumpkin). These should form the backbone of your meal or half of your plate!
Fruit: Each day eat 2 to 3 servings of fresh fruit with your meal or snack. A serving is:
- 1 medium apple
- 1 pear
- 1 peach
- 1 nectarine
- 1 orange
- 1 small banana
- 1/2 mango
- 1/2 papaya
- 1/2 grapefruit
- 1/4 cantaloupe
- 1 cup of berries
- 1 cup of grapes
- 1 cup of cut up melons
- 3/4 cup of fruit salad.
Treat or Dessert: Each day you can add 1 treat of 150 calories or whatever you allowed in your meal plan for a treat, processed food, or food containing sugar. This will allow you to eliminate deprivation from your diet, and help to satisfy cravings. If you choose to skip this, add an extra serving of your choices from the above choices. See Sweets, Treats, or Desserts!*****
This is a generic healthy weight loss meals plan, and you could personalize it with weight loss food that you love, that I have not included. One size does not fit all and that is an important healthy diet habit to understand!
Go to Lifestyle Solutions
Go to Weight Loss
Return from Healthy Weight Loss Meals to Meal Planning
Return from Healthy Weight Loss Meals to Healthy Diet Habits Home Page